Monday, May 9, 2011

Solara, for President of the United Sates of America

Wrapping up a wonderful Mother's Day dinner with some lemon meringue pie early yesterday evening and 6 year old Solara sparks an interesting conversation out of the blue. "I want to be the President when I grow up." Well, now. That is entirely possible, thinking to myself. She promptly adds her 3 rules and laws during her presidency. In her exact words....

#1. You will be allowed to jump on the bed.

#2. You can make a mess and you don't have to clean it up. You can just step over it in the little spaces on the floor.

and last, but not least.....

#3. You can make anything [to eat] you want, even if its disgusting and even if you don't know how to bake.


Little does she know how her rules convey to the world, my excellent parenting skills.

#1. (You will be allowed to jump on the bed.) This says I am protective of my children and care about their safety and well being. Jumping on the bed is extremely dangerous and will 99% of the time result in injury that may or may not include impalement of a small toy.

#2. (You can make a mess and you don't have to clean it up. You can just step over it in the little spaces on the floor.) This says not only do I value the safety of my children, but their over-all hygiene as well. Tidy rooms prevent spaces for critters to hide, injuries from tripping, and impalements from jumping on the bed.

#3. (You can make anything [to eat] you want, even if its disgusting and even if you don't know how to bake.) This says that as a parent, I may be cautious and over protective of my children, being a little adventurous is beneficial. You may think you cannot do things, but try it anyhow. You just may find that you like it or you may realize you have a talent for something you never knew you were capable of.


I didn't receive a bunch of expensive store bought gifts for Mother's day this year. (or any year.)I actually cooked and cleaned and did laundry, just like any other day. What I did get was the help and love of a good man, some beautiful handmade gifts from the kids, and an excellent perspective and recognition of my mothering. I hope all you Mommies out there felt the love of your children yesterday. That is truly what the Mother's Day is about.

CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment