Tuesday, March 8, 2011

BARF

Lord have mercy. I have dealt with more barf in the last 3 days than I ever care to deal with again any time soon. Day before yesterday, Jazzmin woke up puking. After a night of routine intense g-tube feeds, you can only imagine the volume. She seemed fine for a bit, just complaining about cramping. I had errands to run in Wilmington and figured she would be ok. Its not uncommon for one of my kids to have an isolated barfing incident. Well, that is why I am not paid to think. She got sick in the parking lot of our first destination. We decide to just go home. Nothing is ever that simple. We don't "just do" anything. There is always a bajillion other things that chime in to make events more interesting.

Approaching the Cape Fear River bridge, I notice traffic isn't moving from about 5th street. Being the cyber media junkie that I am, I tell Steven to check the NHC911 Twitter feed. Low and behold, a disabled motorist on the bridge, delaying already heavy rainy Saturday traffic. I look for a break and scoot on over to head to the only other way to Brunswick County, the Isabella (insert 20 minute pause for barf clean up) Holmes Bridge and kiss my ass, its up waiting for the hugest fucking ship to pass through. I can see in the distance the traffic I had avoided on the CFR Bridge moving just fine.Before we can make it across the Bridge once traffic starts moving, Jazz pukes in the back seat. Then once more before we get home. Jazz continues to throw up the rest of the evening (about 6 more times)..(insert another 10 minute mini-barf clean up)

I ran gatorade through her g-tube that night at about 1/4 of her normal feeds rate, so as not to upset her tummy anymore but at least keep her somewhat hydrated. She does ok through the night and I kept her home from school Monday, just to be sure. No one wants to be that kid. You know, the one who puked all over the classroom or on that other kid on the playground. No puking all day Monday. I though we were good. There I go with the thinking again. Today she says she still feels gross, so I kept her home again. You can tell when your kid really is sick. She just didn't look good. Did I mention she has yet to run a fever? Yeah, no fever. We pick Solara up from school this afternoon and head to walgreens to pick up Solara's antibiotics (bacterial overgrowth/intestinal GI stuff) and we pull out of tha parking lot and have to immediately pull into Auto Zone. Jazz got sick AGAIN! This is nuts. We get home and by the time I get her ped to call me back, she has barfed 2 more times. We have an appointment at 8:20am tomorrow. Doc says pedialyte at half rate via g-tube for 6 hours, then if shes tolerating, 1/2 pedialyte 1/2 formula for the next 4 and Zofran every 8 hrs to help with nausea. She throws up another 3 times. The Zofran kicked in and she is sleeping comfortably.

Now for Solara. She starts whining about 9:30. Steven went to check on her, thinking maybe she had a bad dream or something, but she doesn't know why she is crying. I go in several minutes later when she starts crying again and she says her tummy feels icky. I asked her if she felt like she needed to be sick and she said kind of but I am not gonna. I gave her a bowl just in case. Well 10 minutes later, she filled up that bowl. Gave her some Zofran and she is now sleeping comfortably. I call my mom to tell her the wonderful news that I now had 2 barfing kids that I would be taking to the doc tomorrow. Now jump back up to paragraph two. That 20 minute barf episode was not Jazzmin. It was not Solara. It was Brieanna. OMFG. She puked on everything. her blankies, her star pillow, her bed sheets, herself. All those things are washing as we speak. I called my mom again to inform her that she would not be watching Brie in the morning. I am taking her on this wonderful barf encrusted circus ride to Wilmington tomorrow. The mini barf in paragraph 2 was also Brie. On the couch, but I had already guarded it with towels. Easy clean up.

Can I take a breath now? *big sigh* I have a feeling tonight is gonna be a long night. Wish me luck. The doc only gave me 4 doses of Zofran. I have 2 left and the older children will be having it for breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a rough day..hope the girls are feeling better soon. Zofran is awesome,we keep loads of it around here lol. Do you have farrell bags? They vent continuously.If you want to try some let me know.

    ReplyDelete